Archive for January, 2010

Not Quite Perfect

After we examined the fit of the motor mount a little closer, we realized we needed to tweak it a little to get it to fit perfectly.  A few welds on the frame were interfering with the mount fitting flush.  To solve this problem we ground a chamfer onto the edges that didn’t fit.  It worked out quite nicely

-Anthony

Leave a comment »

First fit of the motor mount

I check the fit of our newly fabricated motor mount.  It fits pretty well and I am pretty excited about it.  We will need to modify it a little to make it fit perfectly.

Leave a comment »

We’re back!!!

Sorry for the long absence. Last semester was really rough and we had a hard time trying to fit in any updates. I will work on filling you guys in with the design steps from the previous months. This semester look forward to the installation of our designed kits. We will upload videos and photos of our builds. Thanks for sticking with us.

–Anthony

Leave a comment »

We manufactured our parts

I went down to Largo today to spend some time with my dad at his workplace.  We manufactured the motor mount, a motor washer and our shaft brace.  The manufacturing videos can be seen on our youtube channel.  A big thanks goes out to Infinity Manufactured Industries for manufacturing our parts.

-Anthony

Leave a comment »

Trip to IMI

I made the drive from Orlando to Largo to visit my dad today at work to get our parts manufactured.  Here are some videos of our parts being made

-Anthony

Here is the shaft brace being cut using a high pressure water jet cutter.  It was then deburred and welded.

Our motor mount was manufactured using a high precision laser cutter.  The holes were then reamed to make sure they were within tolerance.  The edges were also ground down.

We are mounting the motor controller to a heat buffer.   This buffer is made from a 5/8 in thick aluminum plate.  The plate was too long and needed to be trimmed a little.  Watch how this saw just eats through the plate like its nothing.

Leave a comment »

Drilling into the Frame

In order to install the motor mount we had to drill 5 3/8 inch holes.  It was pretty difficult considering we were drilling through steel and the compartments were pretty tight.  It took a lot longer than we though and in hindsight we would have designed the mount with 1/4 inch holes.  We had to drill several holes and gradually increase the bit size to get our desired hole size.  It was also helpful that we designed slot holes in the motor mount because the drill walked on us and our holes weren’t exact.

-Anthony

Leave a comment »

Redesigned Motor Mount

We needed to create a more exact design for our motor mount.  We ended up taking foam display board a cutting out a shape that fit our cart more precisely.  I then took that foam cutout and dimensioned it.  I input the dimensions into Pro/E and ran a new FEA.  Here is our new design.

We also chose to go with a 1/4 inch hot roll steel.  This saves money because steel is cheaper than aluminum.   We are also able to go thinner in material thickness without sacrificing any strength.

Leave a comment »